Save your sanity, time & money!

Need solutions for the medication, medical appliances and/or medical travel that you can't afford? READ EMPOWER Yourself.

A Health Information Management professional, I survived a life-threatening emergency with information that only a person of my professional experience would know. And I’m sharing it!

Wednesday, January 14, 2015

What's the Compassionate Way to Share Bad News?

B'SD

23 Tevet, 5775

Emotions tend to rocket all around our hearts and minds when we face the medical and/or emotional/mental health news that nobody wants to hear.

I've addressed the cruelty of spiritual one-upsmanship before. That's when people tell us we have no right to cry or to feel fearful because "GOD only gives us what we can handle."

I've also addressed ideal responses to such heartlessness.


What I've never addressed on this blog, or in

http://www.booklocker.com/p/books/3067.html?s=TrackingCode

is the medical practitioner's difficulty 
in delivering bad news.

I've thought about it a lot. Years later, I struggle to recall the exact words of the neurosurgeon who first gave me hope that I'd live past the problem that other medical professionals had caused by failing to address that long-ago (now gone!) meningioma.

I definitely remember, though, the choices I made about how to behave under the dire circumstances. The prognosis for my surgical outcome was not good, to say the least.

The bigger problem remains though. How can anyone compassionately inform a person of their pending death or dire diagnosis? 

Life experience and psychological teachings indicate that starting gently, slowly, and allowing the listener to make necessary connections as the speaker continues to state facts, is one approach.

Promoting optimism, an embrace  of the situation, and thereby empowering the affected person(s) to decide how they'll deal with the situation is another way to face dire situations.

There is room for so much more compassionate behavior under the worst of circumstances.


Let's look at the

How do you tell someone they’re dying?



question together.

I recommend that you click on the links at that site, and keep reading.

I welcome your responses to the essays.


 

Strengthen yourself, your loved ones, and your medical team. Share the E-book or print edition of EMPOWER Yourself to Cope with a Medical Challenge

   

Face Your Medical Problems with Dignity. Face Your Future with Optimism.

Fill in the blanks of your emotional life, or someone else's, with compassion.


No comments: