Save your sanity, time & money!

Need solutions for the medication, medical appliances and/or medical travel that you can't afford? READ EMPOWER Yourself.

A Health Information Management professional, I survived a life-threatening emergency with information that only a person of my professional experience would know. And I’m sharing it!

Tuesday, March 10, 2015

Cleaning Up, Cleaning Out and Shining Fresh!

B'SD

19 Adar, 5775

I'm a bit sad after ending my lovely time off to nurture myself. But I have happy memories to cherish. I spent quality time with friends, spiritual and cultural pursuits.

The Jewish world has cleaned up from all the Purim goodies and ready to take on Pesakh preparation. As we remove every crumb and speck of hametz/khametz (remnants of leavened foods), we focus on improving our characters by removing blocks to better behavior.

I like to keep life simple (a time-tested way to stay in a good mood), so I'm launching a series of posts about EZ Shmeezy household cleaning methods that are safe for people with allergies and skin sensitivities.


Part 1:

I recommend buying natural (NOT synthetic) vinegar and Kalinda powder (Bon Ami is fine) to ease your Pesakh cleaning. Soak stubborn floor stains in vinegar, then scrub them off with stiff brushes half an hour later. 

Kalinda or Bon Ami powder makes an effective non-scratching  scrub all over the home. Astonish creme (jar or upright squeeze bottle) gets stove tops, ovens, and white granite sinks clean with a simple flourish and wipe-down. Pella sponges do, too (wear protective gloves).

Wash the windows with a mixture of water & yellow vinegar, using plain old newspaper. Works wonders. If newsprint irritates your skin, use white cotton cloths (cloth diapers will suffice).

Stubborn laundry stains? Soak them in liquid laundry detergent, Or, douse them with hydrogen peroxide. Wait half an hour, then launder. Works well on proteins such as grass, foods and evidence of boo-boos. 

Mitpakhot (head scarves) or casual wear hats driving you nutz with perspiration stains? Soak them in a clean bucket filled with a large shot of cheap-o baby shampoo and water. Wait a day, agitate the headgear in the shampooey water by hand, then rinse, and hang the clean, fresh scarves and hats to dry.

This message has been brought to you because a Beersheva friend impressed with my non-allergenic household skills and chemicals asked me to share my secrets with the wider world.

Wait'll I tell you what baking soda can do! Um, don't tell the kids that I also know how make a volcano with it. Let's wait until after chag (the holiday). You have enough cleaning to do before seder night. I'm sure it's called seder night because after a month of turning our homes and lives upside down to get rid of chometz, we need a lotta seder...

And remember: Dirt is not chametz. Spring cleaning is a whole 'nuther topic.


Buy the E-book or print edition of EMPOWER Yourself to Cope with a Medical Challenge.  

   

Face Your Medical Problems with Dignity. Face Your Future with Optimism.

Figure out what works for you.

No comments: